[zfs-discuss] zfs-discuss Digest, Vol 43, Issue 3

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Wed Nov 7 13:45:57 EST 2018

Il 07-11-2018 15:53 Bzzzz via zfs-discuss ha scritto:
> So it is a mind-swindle as, yes, it'll ease heads movements because of
> it's lower density, and no, it won't take very long before it turns
> back to a regular HD. (not to mention that iPhones MEMS dislike
> Helium;-p)

Helium-filled HDD have a specific SMART attribute showing how much of
the original helium is retained in the chassis.
I saw numerous report of 2/3+ years old HDD with 100% helium reserve,
showing no loss at all.

On the other hand, these HDDs *must* be handled with care: any small
dent in the chassis will rapidly let all helium to escape. I saw two
HDDs DoA due to this very problem.

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan