[zfs-discuss] zfs-discuss Digest, Vol 43, Issue 3

Bzzzz lazyvirus at gmx.com
Wed Nov 7 14:37:07 EST 2018

On Wed, 07 Nov 2018 19:45:57 +0100
Gionatan Danti <g.danti at assyoma.it> wrote:

> Helium-filled HDD have a specific SMART attribute showing how much of
> the original helium is retained in the chassis.
> I saw numerous report of 2/3+ years old HDD with 100% helium reserve,
> showing no loss at all.

You shouldn't trust what the vendor/manufacturer told you about He
sensors. A He sensor is a very delicate piece of technology to
achieve, and the latest (smaller) are not very accurate (and anyway, they
_detect_ He, they DO NOT measure it's concentration which is a total
other business (and price).)

Not to mention that if ANY vendor/manufacturer tells you the HD
includes a real differential atmosphere analyser (the only way to know
the gazes percentages), he is a FLFH¹…

Your sensor might tell about the internal atmosphere _pressure_,
also meaning the more pressure, the faster it leaks.

> On the other hand, these HDDs *must* be handled with care: any small
> dent in the chassis will rapidly let all helium to escape. I saw two
> HDDs DoA due to this very problem.

I don't know about *any* HD that can bare bad treatments.

Anyway, at the speed SSDz prices are tumbling down, HDz won't last very
much longer than 4~5 years.

¹ - Fucking Liar From Hell.