[zfs-discuss] TRIM support for ZFS on Linux

Riccardo Veraldi Riccardo.Veraldi at cnaf.infn.it
Fri Nov 16 13:10:23 EST 2018

I found the TRIM feature very useful for my case using Intel NVMe SSD DC
P3520, othe wise they would stop performing after a while.
After writing 20TB on them you need to re-format (Secure erase them), or
the performance will start dropping of 50% or even more.
Seems like thir garbage collection implementation is not working so well.
I did a lot of tests with those SSDs. Using zfs with TRIM support makes
them work much better and you do not need to secure erase them anymore.
They continue to perform fine even if you write hundreds of TB on them.
In my case with these model of SSD devices TRIM was needed...

Riccardo